The JNW Team
JNW is in a growth phase. As such it is active in the market identifying talent which meet our professional standards, experience and skill criteria. Whilst we anticipate our employee numbers to grow, we have assembled a strong, highly specialised team built around industry specialisation that has a proven record on delivering quality outcomes. A brief curriculum vitae of each key member of our delivery team is provided below.
Jeff is a senior business process risk professional with over 30 years’ experience (12 with the Big 4) in keeping businesses safe. As the Managing Director of JNW, he designs innovative, strategic, risk based solutions that enable Boards and Management to more effectively implement their strategic goals.
Specialising in reviewing business processes, he leads teams to create efficient business frameworks. From corporate governance, risk management, procurement, contract and project management, strategy, business continuity, regulatory compliance, acquisitions and internal controls, Jeff works hands on with Boards, Audit Committees and Management to bring about valued sustainable cultural and systems change.
He has assisted a diverse range of organisations across a variety of industries such as sports and entertainment, financial services, local government, water/energy utilities, agriculture, member services and statutory regulators.
Through his experience on Audit Committees and industry engagements, he brings better practice insights and in-depth understanding of industry operations, their risks, opportunities and regulatory challenges to make an immediate impact on an entities strategic and operational direction.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand (ICAANZ)
- Fellow of the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Graduate Diploma (ICAANZ)
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
Jeff’s clients appreciate the experience, professionalism and personal delivery. As a trusted advisor, he invests time to build strong relationships with senior management, boards and audit committees.
Some of Jeff’s recent engagements have included:
Strategy/Internal Audit/Business Process Improvement Engagements
- Ridley Corporation, work directly with the Audit & Risk Committee Chair and CEO, and provide strategic risk and controls advice. As the provider of their internal audit program, recently conducted a review of the quality assurance controls over finished goods, which provided transparency to the Board on quality standards at different manufacturing plants.
- Hawthorn Football Club, conducted control reviews at their gaming and entertainment venues covering gaming, bar and accommodation. Also assessed controls over online sales and membership and the clubs financial controls. Reported findings provided the Finance & Risk Committee with a better understanding of the maturity of the controls framework.
- Nexus Mutual, developed the Business Continuity Framework. This included creating a BIA risk assessment process, a call tree structure, roles and responsibility cards, incident management templates, scenario plans, communication program and team deactivation steps.
- Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, conducted an environmental scan of the financial function, covering financial transaction processing activities, procedures, controls, reconciliations, reporting, roles and responsibilities, system capabilities and future delivery objectives. The outcome was a “Finance Stablisation Improvement Blueprint” roadmap that identified improvement initiatives, such as creating a vision, designing a fit for purpose staff structure, documenting key financial processes, assessing the risks, estimating the change costs, evaluating the financial reporting system and setting out the project timeline.
- RMIT, developed a strategic Market Opportunities paper as part of the University’s VE Growth Strategy. This included providing a critical review and evaluation of opportunities in the offshore student sector. Outcomes resulted in an International Market Penetration Strategy.
- Melbourne Cricket Club, managed a team that reviewed the venues point of sale cash handling procedures, pricing and financial reporting. Also provided IT governance advice with the implementation of a new membership system, assessed game day event threats and car park contract management. Insights lead to enhanced processes and more efficient systems.
- Uecomm Ltd, reviewed strategic acquisitions, new technology platforms and designed and constructed financial models for the rollout of new products. The models included detailed assumptions on take up rates, services to be offered, operating costs and capital requirements, ARPU sensitivity analysis, capital costs and return on investment.
- Industry Superannuation Property Trust, conducted regular commercial property audits including analysis of lease management, property services delivery, capital expenditure, budgeting and financial performance reporting across commercial, retail and industrial properties. Jeff’s assessment provided benchmarking across the portfolio, enabling consistent practices and process efficiencies to be shared.
- Uecomm Ltd, United Energy Ltd, managed the data verification and due diligence process for the $1b listing on the ASX of Uecomm Ltd (now a part of Optus) and for the $920 million sale of Pulse Energy (retailer) to Shell and Woodside. Both transactions required strong project management with a heavy focus on relationships and formalising processes.
- Hawthorn Football Club, reviewed the governance structures, including board and sub-committee charters. Presented to the HFC Board on “Elevating Governance”. One outcome was the clarification of responsibilities and obligations of the Integrity and Compliance Committee.
- Manningham City Council, created a Procurement Improvement Implementation Roadmap that considered the governance framework, business rules, automation workflows, communication and training awareness. Importantly, developed a clear simple five steps process that ensures a controlled efficient approach to purchasing.
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, conducted a business process review to redesign major processes. Results eliminated duplication, reduced silo inefficiencies, created consistent client focused systems and recommended that automation of manually intensive tasks.
- Surf Coast Shire, provided advice throughout the $50 million development of the new precinct, including business case assumptions, execution capability, financial model, risk and project reporting. The project was successfully delivered on time and on budget.
- Essential Services Commission, provided advice on local government and water regulatory frameworks, the VDO pricing model and annually audit the water businesses’ regulatory accounting statement for compliance with the act.
- Hawthorn Football Club, conducted a fraud investigation that uncovered a significant control breakdown. Assisted in determining the remediation.
- Frankston City Council, developed an improvement roadmap for Frankston City Council to implement a Customer Focused Service Planning & Costing framework. The service costing methodology provided vital operational cost intelligence to strategically position the Council to take advantage of different service delivery models.
- Monash City Council & Plumbing Industry Commission (PIC) – independent Audit Committee member for six years. Was the Chair of the PIC’s for two years
Risk Management Engagements
- Ridley, Corporation, reviewed the risk framework, policies and systems and provided advice on how to develop a Risk Appetite Statement and proactive, strategic focused risk management frameworks that is centred on amplifying, demystifying and anticipating risks.
- City of Melbourne, conducted an audit/health-check of the risk management framework. Improvement strategies have strengthened the understanding of those risks that may impact the achievement of the organisations strategic objectives.
- Nexus Mutual, provided advice on how to strengthen the risk assessment process and updated the Risk Management Policy and Procedure to comply with Prudential Standard CPS 220.
• Procurement Australsia, interviewed directors to create their first Risk Appetite Statement. This included determining risk categories and risk tolerance levels.
- Telstra Ltd, project managed a large risk consulting engagement for Telstra. The project designed the risk operating model and the necessary transformation program to restructure the organisation into three Lines of Defence (LOD). This included assessing Telstra’s risk maturity, conducting an inventory of second LOD risk activities, developing a conceptual risk operating model, designing the Chief Risk Office (structure and resourcing) and establishing a risk transition roadmap. The outcomes from this work were approved by the Board and transformed the way Telstra manages risk going forward.
Sean is a senior risk professional with 30+ years managing financial and non-financial risks. Having worked as a senior manager for large financial services institutions in Australia, Singapore and the Pacific, Sean has extensive experience in assurance, internal audit, risk strategy, corporate governance, transformational projects, regulatory compliance, internal controls and merger and acquisition transactions.
With a demonstrated capacity to design and implement risk management and governance solutions, he has the ability to communicate and translate business requirements, analysis data and risks and deliver solutions across multiple stakeholders including boards and senior executives.
Sean has worked across a diverse range of businesses and brings strong experience managing operational risks, business process improvements and ever-changing regulatory challenges. His experience also covers risks associated with an organisations balance sheet both from a financial and non-financial risk impact.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow Governance Institute of Australia
- Graduate Diploma Applied Risk Management and Corporate Governance
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business (Banking & Finance)
Sean’s recent experiences includes:
- National Australia Bank – contracted as a senior risk advisor to develop a specialised regulatory expectations model. This included developing a regulatory model methodology, conducting regulatory analysis, engaging senior stakeholders, process build and implementing the control changes into a ‘business as usual’ process across the organisation.
- National Australia Bank – Conducted a regulatory impact assessment of new financial services regulations to ensure regulatory expectations and conduct obligations were understood so control frameworks could be implemented.
- State Regulatory Body – assisted with quality assurance review of internal pricing models covering methodology, frameworks and compliance structures.
- RMIT – developed a strategic Market Opportunities paper as part of the University’s VE Growth Strategy. This included providing a critical review and evaluation of opportunities in the offshore student sector. Outcomes resulted in an International Market Penetration Strategy.
- TRY Australia – conducted an internal audit of the organisation’s payroll and procurement processes across the organisation.
- Professional Sports Organisation – assisted with review of financial controls within gaming venues and third-party venue management, including some fraud analysis.
- ANZ Group Treasury – developed and implemented risk, governance, procedural and compliance frameworks to meet policy and regulatory APRA standards. Managed assurance and operational risk reviews, re-engineering risk management policies, process improvements and reporting practices, to ensure improved oversight by both executive management and regulators. Developed and implemented strategies to manage the Australian balance sheet’s cashflows, funding and liquidity risk.
- ANZ Group Treasury – developed new annual compliance review frameworks to ensure APRA regulatory requirements and standards such as APS210 Liquidity, APS 110/116 Capital Adequacy, APS 120 Securitisation, APS 121 Covered Bonds and CPS 220 were being met.
- ANZ Group Treasury -managed the strategy and development of a ‘Retail Run’ compliance plan to meet APRA APS210 liquidity crisis plan requirements.
- Member of Loan Sponsorship Committee that reviewed and facilitated the allocation of liquidity and balance sheet capital to loan and credit facilities.
- Industry Body – was a member of a specialised industry payments group to develop payments reform across the Australian financial sector (This group included the Reserve Bank of Australia, the Australian Payments Clearing Association coupled with other industry experts).
- ANZ Singapore – As treasurer, managed a multi-billion-dollar asset and liability portfolio base covering multiple currencies and products across Asian/Pacific jurisdictions. Balance sheet management included operational, financial and regulatory controls across the Singapore business unit.
- ANZ Singapore – chaired the group’s asset and liability committee to ensure both efficient balance sheet utilisation and all capital and liquidity regulatory requirements were met.
Senior Advisory Consultant
Joe has a professional career of over 35 years as a senior executive leader of complex, large scale and multi-disciplinary service organisations. Highly regarded as an inspirational and innovative leader and advisor, Joe is recognised for demonstrated attainment of key strategic organisational advancements in efficiency, effectiveness and stakeholder focus.
Recently retired from the role of CEO of Manningham City Council to transition to advisory and governance roles, he lead the organisation’s successful development and adoption of systems thinking and continuous improvement methodology. Joe knows what it takes to create strategically driven organisational culture and operational change that is focused on attaining holistic service enhancements and improving the experience of residents and stakeholders in their interactions with Council.
Joe has worked in both the public and private sectors, including a distinguished career of over 22 years in the Hospital and Health Care services industry in NSW and Victoria as an Executive Director and CEO during an extended era of major state and national health sector reform. In Victoria, Joe was the CEO of the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital from 1998 to 2002, leading the organisation through major governance transition and attainment of independent status.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Professional Health Studies in Business Process Re-engineering
- Bachelor of Health Administration
Joe’s recent experience includes:
- Joe Carbone is a long term senior executive who has successfully lead complex and large scale multi-disciplinary service organisations. He has a well-regarded track record in effecting cultural change and continuous improvement leadership to enhance organisational performance and effectiveness.
- Joe has worked closely and constructively with Boards of Directors and senior executive teams in complex organisations during periods of continuous change and reform. He has valuable experience in the examination of organisational effectiveness as well as in the adoption and utilisation of service weight analysis and activity based costing to assess performance and efficiency in competitive and revenue constrained operating environments. Joe’s value proposition is highly relevant to the types of reforms presently being promulgated and experienced by Local Government.
- Joe brings ”holistic systems thinking” leadership to the team. Having led organisation-wide change and development through application of Systems Thinking and Continuous Improvement (C.I.) methodologies in the health and local government sectors, Joe is well versed in approaches that empower staff and teams to identify opportunities to streamline, improve and remove waste from systems of work to enhance productivity and service quality.
- Having been a CEO in the local government and health sectors, Joe understands how large multifaceted organisations like councils operate and think. He knows the critical success factors and how to create sustainable change across highly siloed (traditional) operations. Furthermore he knows what objectives to set and how to measure improvement to ensure benefits are realised.
Peter Wagner is a leader in the Occupational Health & Safety sector. He specialises in developing and implementing bespoke safety strategy, leadership, cultural change and employee engagement initiatives.
Managing Director of Peter Wagner & Associates, Peter’s particular expertise includes engaging with executive teams and boards to correctly position and design safety strategy within the context of the overall business vision and values. Given directors personal liability risk, he delivers safety compliance in conjunction with improved people and business outcomes.
- Bachelor of Arts
- Certified Member Australian Human Resources Institute
Prior to commencing his consulting practice, Peter held several general manager roles in Safety, Human Resources, Change Management and Industrial Relations with some of Australia’s best known blue chip organisations.
He has worked across a range of industries including Government, Water, Mining, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Retail and Hospitality.
You can find out more about Peter on his website.
IT and Data Analytics Specialist
Eric is a senior IT risk and audit professional with over 25 years experience in senior roles both in industry and heading IT specialist consulting divisions within the ‘Big 4’. He understands technology, but is also able to translate technical issues into meaningful business risks for non-IT management to understand.
He is the Managing Director of Certitude, a niche professional services company specialising in IT risk services, including IT control design and operational effectiveness (e.g. ITIL and CoBIT), IT systems security, disaster recovery, IT Audit & Assurance, IT project governance, threat risk analysis and computer forensic as well as data analytic services.
Certitude are independent of vendor and product alliances ensuring impartial assessment and advice.
- Bachelor of Science
- Graduate Diploma in Business Technology
- Certified Information Systems Auditor
- Certified Information Security Manager
Eric has specialist skills in IT risk management, internal audit, IT control design and operational effectiveness (e.g. ITIL and CoBIT), Business Continuity and IT Disaster Recovery, security, data analytics, and system performance testing.
Eric and his team will assist the JNW team to deliver IT audits and provide data analytic capability.
Eric’s current clients include Australian banks, government and Big 4 accounting firms. These include Port Phillip City Council, CPA Australia, Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO), Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA), Dept. of Justice (Vic), Dept. of Treasury & Finance (Vic), Dept. of Premier and Cabinet, Dept of Business Innovation (Vic), Internal Audit Bureau of NSW, KPMG, Ernst & Young, Transport Accident Commission (Vic), and Victoria Police.
You can read more about Eric and Certitude on their website.