The JNW Team
JNW is in a growth phase. As such it is active in the market identifying talent which meet our professional standards, experience and skill criteria. Whilst we anticipate our employee numbers to grow, we have assembled a strong, highly specialised team built around industry specialisation that has a proven record on delivering quality outcomes. A brief curriculum vitae of each key member of our delivery team is provided below.
Jeff is a senior business process risk professional with over 25 years’ experience (12 with the Big 4) in keeping businesses safe. As the Managing Director of JNW, he designs innovative, efficient and cost saving solutions that enable Management to take advantage of opportunities or minimise loses in a risk effective manner.
Specialising in reviewing business processes, he leads teams to create efficient business frameworks. From corporate governance, risk management, procurement, contract and project management, strategy, business continuity, regulatory compliance, acquisitions and internal controls, Jeff works hands on with Management to bring about valued sustainable cultural and systems change.
He has assisted a diverse range of organisations across a variety of industries such as local government, water utilities, sports and entertainment, telecommunications, property management and education. Through his experience on Audit Committees and industry engagements, he brings better practice insights and in-depth understanding of industry operations, their risks, opportunities and regulatory challenges to make an immediate impact on an entities strategic and operational direction.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand (ICAANZ)
- Fellow of the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Graduate Diploma (ICAANZ)
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
Jeff’s clients appreciate the experience, professionalism and personal delivery. As a trusted advisor, he invests time to build strong relationships with senior management, boards and audit committees.
Some of Jeff’s recent clients have included:
- Manningham City Council – developed the risk framework and created the business continuity framework
- Western Water – designed the procurement framework and as part of the “Fairer Water Bills” initiative, reviewed Managements initial projected ‘Savings Forecast Estimate’ to ensure the potential cost saving initiatives were supported by adequate assumptions
- Essential Services Commission – assisted with the design and improvement of regulatory frameworks both in the water industry and local council. Assignments included Regulatory Accounting Statements audits and Water Performance Indicator performance audits for authorities such as Goulburn Valley Water, Western Water, East Gippsland Water, South Gippsland Water, Westernport Water, ACTEW AGL, Barwon Water, Lower Murray Water and Coliban Water
- Monash City Council & Plumbing Industry Commission (PIC) – independent Audit Committee member for six years. Was the Chair of the PIC’s for two years
- Hawthorn Football Club – financial controls evaluation of the football operations, merchandise processes, gaming venues cash controls and the WestWater venue management
- City of Melbourne – managed the internal audit program for five years, reporting to the Audit Committee. The program covered all aspects of Council’s operations
- Bayside City Council – evaluated cash handling frameworks, procurement processes and managed the internal audit service for five years
- Frankston City Council – provided an independent risk assessment of key financial assumptions for a major acquisition and developed a 10 year financial model forecasting projected financial outcomes
- Mornington Peninsula Shire Council – provided temporary internal audit services for six months
- Baw Shire Council/South Gippsland Shire Councils – Risk maturity benchmarking study and Risk Shared Services diagnostic
- Victoria University – review of the effectiveness of the Vocational Education and Training enrolment process and managed the internal audit program for two years
- United Energy Ltd – was the internal audit manager for three years. Role included transaction structure and due diligence for the $920 million national energy retailer, Pulse Energy, to Shell Australia and Woodside Petroleum and data verification process for the listing of Uecomm Ltd on the ASX
- Telstra – as part of a Deloitte team, benchmarked the risk framework and designed a new risk management function that took into account the Three Lines of Defence
- Melbourne Cricket Club – managed the internal audit program for three years
- ANZ – financial securitisation systems assessment
- Industry Superannuation Property Trust – managed the internal audit program for five years.
Senior Advisory Consultant
Joe has a professional career of over 35 years as a senior executive leader of complex, large scale and multi-disciplinary service organisations. Highly regarded as an inspirational and innovative leader and advisor, Joe is recognised for demonstrated attainment of key strategic organisational advancements in efficiency, effectiveness and stakeholder focus.
Recently retired from the role of CEO of Manningham City Council to transition to advisory and governance roles, he lead the organisation’s successful development and adoption of systems thinking and continuous improvement methodology. Joe knows what it takes to create strategically driven organisational culture and operational change that is focused on attaining holistic service enhancements and improving the experience of residents and stakeholders in their interactions with Council.
Joe has worked in both the public and private sectors, including a distinguished career of over 22 years in the Hospital and Health Care services industry in NSW and Victoria as an Executive Director and CEO during an extended era of major state and national health sector reform. In Victoria, Joe was the CEO of the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital from 1998 to 2002, leading the organisation through major governance transition and attainment of independent status.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Professional Health Studies in Business Process Re-engineering
- Bachelor of Health Administration
Joe’s recent experience includes:
- Joe Carbone is a long term senior executive who has successfully lead complex and large scale multi-disciplinary service organisations. He has a well-regarded track record in effecting cultural change and continuous improvement leadership to enhance organisational performance and effectiveness.
- Joe has worked closely and constructively with Boards of Directors and senior executive teams in complex organisations during periods of continuous change and reform. He has valuable experience in the examination of organisational effectiveness as well as in the adoption and utilisation of service weight analysis and activity based costing to assess performance and efficiency in competitive and revenue constrained operating environments. Joe’s value proposition is highly relevant to the types of reforms presently being promulgated and experienced by Local Government.
- Joe brings ”holistic systems thinking” leadership to the team. Having led organisation-wide change and development through application of Systems Thinking and Continuous Improvement (C.I.) methodologies in the health and local government sectors, Joe is well versed in approaches that empower staff and teams to identify opportunities to streamline, improve and remove waste from systems of work to enhance productivity and service quality.
- Having been a CEO in the local government and health sectors, Joe understands how large multifaceted organisations like councils operate and think. He knows the critical success factors and how to create sustainable change across highly siloed (traditional) operations. Furthermore he knows what objectives to set and how to measure improvement to ensure benefits are realised.
Alan is a senior business process risk and audit professional with over 30 years’ experience (20 as an Audit and Business Services Partner with PwC) helping a wide range of organisations develop process efficiencies while managing the risks. As principal of Governance Risk and Advisory Services, Alan works closely with Jeff to strengthen organisations governance frameworks.
- Certified Trainer ISO 31000 (G31000 International)
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand
- Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Member of the Australian Compliance Institute (MACI)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours)
As a very senior consultant Alan brings strong auditing, risk and business process experience. He is hands on, highly personable and works with his clients to create sustainable commercial solutions.
A summary of Alan’s recent client assignments are:
- Internal audit for a wide variety of public sector organisations such as the Department of Primary Industries, the Department of Transport, the Port of Melbourne Corporation, the Wheat Export Authority, Vic Health and the City of Whittlesea
- Chairman of the Audit Committee for Manningham City Council and independent member of the Compliance Risk and Audit Committee of Victoria University. This enables Alan to bring a comprehensive working knowledge of the issues confronting Audit Committees in the public sector
- For Baw Baw Shire Council, City of Whittlesea, City of Greater Dandenong, Bayside City Council and the City of Yarra he has provided risk consulting services
- Sessional Teacher at Monash University where Alan retains a close interest in emerging tools and techniques through his part-time role
- Between 2008 and 2012, Alan was member of a select panel of experts retained by Wheat Export Australia to ensure that applicants for wheat export licences were compliant with the detailed provisions of the legislation. Organisations audited included GrainCorp, Goodman Fielder, Louis Dreyfus, ABB Grain, Cargill, Marubeni, Elders and OzEplus
- Alan was the external audit partner for high profile clients such as Fosters Brewing (Hotels Division), Coles Myer New Zealand and Shell (Coal Division). Since leaving PwC, he has been a Finance Director with one of his clients
- Appointed by the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee, Alan has performed two successive efficiency and effectiveness audits of the Victorian Auditor-Generals Office (VAGO). This involved benchmarking VAGO’s policies and procedures against Audit Agencies in other jurisdictions as well as against audit firms in the private sector.
Peter Wagner is a leader in the Occupational Health & Safety sector. He specialises in developing and implementing bespoke safety strategy, leadership, cultural change and employee engagement initiatives.
Managing Director of Peter Wagner & Associates, Peter’s particular expertise includes engaging with executive teams and boards to correctly position and design safety strategy within the context of the overall business vision and values. Given directors personal liability risk, he delivers safety compliance in conjunction with improved people and business outcomes.
- Bachelor of Arts
- Certified Member Australian Human Resources Institute
Prior to commencing his consulting practice, Peter held several general manager roles in Safety, Human Resources, Change Management and Industrial Relations with some of Australia’s best known blue chip organisations.
He has worked across a range of industries including Government, Water, Mining, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Retail and Hospitality.
You can find out more about Peter on his website.
IT and Data Analytics Specialist
Eric is a senior IT risk and audit professional with over 25 years experience in senior roles both in industry and heading IT specialist consulting divisions within the ‘Big 4’. He understands technology, but is also able to translate technical issues into meaningful business risks for non-IT management to understand.
He is the Managing Director of Certitude, a niche professional services company specialising in IT risk services, including IT control design and operational effectiveness (e.g. ITIL and CoBIT), IT systems security, disaster recovery, IT Audit & Assurance, IT project governance, threat risk analysis and computer forensic as well as data analytic services.
Certitude are independent of vendor and product alliances ensuring impartial assessment and advice.
- Bachelor of Science
- Graduate Diploma in Business Technology
- Certified Information Systems Auditor
- Certified Information Security Manager
Eric has specialist skills in IT risk management, internal audit, IT control design and operational effectiveness (e.g. ITIL and CoBIT), Business Continuity and IT Disaster Recovery, security, data analytics, and system performance testing.
Eric and his team will assist the JNW team to deliver IT audits and provide data analytic capability.
Eric’s current clients include Australian banks, government and Big 4 accounting firms. These include Port Phillip City Council, CPA Australia, Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO), Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA), Dept. of Justice (Vic), Dept. of Treasury & Finance (Vic), Dept. of Premier and Cabinet, Dept of Business Innovation (Vic), Internal Audit Bureau of NSW, KPMG, Ernst & Young, Transport Accident Commission (Vic), and Victoria Police.
You can read more about Eric and Certitude on their website.