JNW has deep experience in local government. Jeff has been involved in the Local Government industry for over 10 years. Having led the Deloitte Local Council patch for six years, his experience includes providing internal audit and risk services for over six year to councils such as City of Melbourne, Bayside City Council, Surf Coast Shire Council and Kingston City Council.
Local Councils face a convergence of challenges including rate capping, cost shifting, flattening revenues, increasing expenses and a public that is frustrated and becoming disengaged. This is occurring against a backdrop of rapid population growth, economic uncertainty, technology disruption and environmental challenges. With upcoming council elections, now is the time to start planning for how your council will face these challenges.
Smart councils will see this as an opportunity to transform the way they deliver services.
JNW’s strategic service value creation model offers a three step systems change process to better prepare for the shifting grounds. See our March 2016 newsletter for details.
Other team highlights include:
- Jeff was an independent Audit Committee member on the Monash City Council Audit Committee for six years. This provided insight into the management issues of running a council.
- JNW currently services a significant number of councils, including Manningham City Council, Bayside City Council, Frankston City Council, City of Greater Dandenong, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, Baw Shire Council, South Gippsland Shire Council and Mitchell Shire Council.
- With regard to rate capping, JNW recently assisted the Essential Services Commission (ESC) with developing a conceptual model including providing awareness of the local council environment, risks of a cap, issues with evaluating rate capping variations and financial analysis on all councils.
- To create service costing intelligence to enable informed discussions with the Community on services delivered, for Frankston City Council developed a leading edge Customer Focused Service Planning & Costing methodology. The approach was based on understanding what services were delivered, what ingredients made up the service and then allocated relevant costs to each element.
- Provided advice to Victorian Local Governance Association in relation to rate capping and the tools required to assist councils risk effectively assess the financial impacts.
- For LG Pro conducted a risk assessment of the emerging industry risks, such as loss of income, lack of critical asset maintenance, cost cutting to critical services, increased fraud risk due to resourcing reductions and inappropriate accounting systems to determine the cost of services.
- Consulting Director and Subject Matter Expert, Mark Davies, was the CEO of Surf Coast Shire Council for four years, up until 2012, and General Manager Corporate Services for nine years at Darebin City Council. Mark currently consults widely with councils.
- Mark also consults to Local Government Victoria where he recently helped developed the Local Government Performance Reporting Framework.
- Alan Fotheringham, Consulting Director, has performed numerous review assignments for local government bodies and is currently the independent Audit Committee Chair of Manningham City Council.
So what are the emerging Risks?
Specific examples of our assistance to the industry includes: